How Pure Is Your Gold Jewellery?

How-Pure-Is-Your-Gold-Jewellery

How Pure Is Your Gold Jewellery?

If you are on this page, you are probably looking for buying pure gold jewellery, or are trying to find out whether the gold you already have is pure gold or not. But, before you begin with your search, let us tell you that none of the gold jewellery you possess and none of the gold jewellery that you are planning to buy can be made of pure gold! If this is alarming for you, we’ll ask you to sit back and relax. You should understand that no gold jewellery in the world can be made of pure gold. That’s because pure gold is so soft that it is impossible to craft it into any kind of jewellery. So then, what is it that you have been buying all this while? Well, have you heard of the word “karat”? Karat is the word used to describe the purity of gold. There are various karats of gold available like 24 karats, 22 karats, 18 karats, etc. 24 karat is the purest form of gold, but cannot be used to make jewellery, which is why jewellery making uses gold that is 22 karats or lesser. We’ll help you understand this in detail below.

What is 24 karat gold?

24 karat gold is pure gold, or 100% gold, with no mixing of any other metal, which is why it has a distinct bright yellow colour. It is the most expensive because it is 100% pure. But, at the same time, it is very soft and pliable, which is why it cannot be used to make jewellery. It is instead used to make coins and bars, which you can gift to someone you love, if you are looking to gift pure gold. Also, 24 karat gold is used in electronics and medical devices.

What is 22 karat gold?

22 karat gold is the highest standard of gold that can be used to make jewellery. The name “22 karat” is because in this type of gold, 22 parts of gold are mixed with 2 parts of metals like silver, nickel, or zinc to bring to it the sturdiness that can help make jewellery. 22 karat gold is thus 91.67% pure gold.

What is 18 karat gold?

18 karat gold is a lower standard of gold used for making jewellery, wherein there is only 75% presence of gold, with the remaining 25% being metals like copper or silver. This type of gold is less expensive than 22 karat gold jewellery, which is why it is more acceptable by the middle class. 18 karat gold is generally used to make stone-studded and diamond-studded jewellery.

So now that you know that your gold jewellery is never 100% pure, which gold are you going to buy – 22 karat or 18 karat? No matter what your choice, you must always ensure that you are buying hallmarked gold. Hallmarked gold is that which proves the purity of gold used in the jewellery, no matter how much of gold is used. So, unless you check for the hallmark, you could be likely to be cheated. This calls for absolute carefulness when it comes to buying gold jewellery. Nevertheless, if you don’t want to take any risk, you can always walk into Aura Jewels, the most trusted and reliable customized gold jewellery shop in Bangalore. Here, you can have your jewellery customized, or even buy from off-the-shelf designs, resting assured that you are always getting only genuine hallmarked gold, no matter what you buy.