11 Mar Hallmarked Gold – The Importance
Gold definitely occupies a special place in the heart of those who are fond of jewels, may it be earrings, rings, pendants, bangles, or complete jewellery sets. You may be buying lots of gold every year but how well do you know your gold jewellery? How do you know whether the gold is pure and genuine, or not? How can you determine the purity of the gold you are buying? The answer is BIS hallmarked certification.
Hallmarking is a way to safeguard the interest of the buyers by ensuring that the gold being sold is of high quality and is genuine. It is a system that helps you to determine the purity of gold; a certification issued by the Bureau of Indian Standards, thus named as the BIS hallmark certificate. This certificate ensures that the metal used to make the piece of jewellery conforms to the national and international standards of purity and fineness.
India began the hallmarking concept in April 2000. Before this, buyers never had a way to determine the purity of gold. And, buying gold doesn’t only mean adorning oneself with the finest pieces of jewellery, but it is also considered as a means of investment and securing their money. Thus, if you are investing your money to buy the best gold jewellery in Bangalore, even if the smallest piece of ornament, you need to be sure that you are buying the right metal, and this can only be determined by the BIS certification. A hallmark certification can provide all the necessary details of the metal and confirm its purity. It consists of five components or marks.
- BIS standard mark – This is a triangle which indicates that a third party assessor has done the hallmarking after proper evaluation, confirming the purity of gold.
- Purity grade – It is a number that corresponds to the carat value of gold. The purest gold is 24 carats, but this amount of purity is not suitable for making gold ornaments, which is why it is mixed with other metals to form stronger alloys. The most popular carat range used in India to make gold ornaments is 22 to 14 carats with a purity grade of 916. 916 here means that the gold is 91.6% pure.
- Jeweller’s mark – This is the mark of the manufacturer of the ornament. Each jeweller certified by the BIS has a specific logo that is embossed on their ornaments.
- Hallmarking centre’s mark – This mark is embossed on every item that is assessed and verified for purity from a third part assessor that has been approved by the BIS. This mark helps to trace back the gold to the centre.
- Year of marking – This indicates the year in which the gold was hallmarked, which is denoted by a code letter decide by the BIS.
Nevertheless, don’t think that you can get hallmarked genuine gold at any gold outlet. Not every jeweler can acquire a hallmark for their gold. Only BIS certified jewelers can. This is why it is suggested that you buy your gold from reputed jewelers who offer hallmarked products. One such name in the industry is Aura Jewels, the most reputed customized gold jewellery shop in Bangalore, where you can shop from the ready designs as well as have your designs customized as per your choice. Whatever you decide on buying, you can rest assured that you will be getting genuine hallmarked gold, studded with genuine diamonds and gemstones.